So, the words “natural,” “all natural” and “organic” are tossed around with great abandon, with regard to hair care products— most notably within the realm of products marketed toward afro-textured hair. But, when I see something like this…
Well, as it happens, according to a California law, health and beauty items are held to the same rule as food products marketed as organic, wherein they must contain at least 70% organic ingredients to boast the claim of being an organic product. It gets better. The Center for Environmental Health (CEH) has now filed a lawsuit against 26 companies for violation of the aforementioned law.
CEH tested a bunch of products they got from Bay Area drug stores and Targets and such, and found several that contained little or NO organic ingredients, at all. Uhm… BUSTED.
Now, I won’t keep picking on the Kids Organics line, because even companies like Curls and Kinky Curly have products that were found to be bullshitty (see list below). These two companies being put on blast is amusing for me especially, since they are two of the most popular “organic” brands for afro-textured hair. I was never dickriding for either brand, to be honest, but I imagine there are going to be a lot of annoyed afros out there, once they hear this news.
I am more cynical than most, so I have to admit this revelation of false labeling/marketing is more of a “no duh” moment, for me. Besides, I use plenty of products that have never pretended to be “all natural” nor “organic,” and I like them just fine. I only worry about what’s organic and what is not with regard to what I’m putting in my body, not what I’m putting on my hair.
However, I am really appreciative that this information has been brought to the public’s attention, and that these companies are being held accountable. Here’s the shitlist:
- Advantage Research Laboratories, Inc./Murray’s Worldwide, Inc.: Parnevu T-Tree No Lye Conditioning Relaxer System
- Aubrey Organics, Inc: Collagen & Almond Enriching Moisturizing Lotion
- Beauty Without Cruelty/Lotus Brands, Inc: Organic Aromatherapy Facial Cleanser
- Boots Retail USA Inc: Boots Amazon Forest Brazil Nut & Vanilla Body Wash
- California Inside & Out, Inc: Out of Africa Handwash Tea Tree with Essential Oil
- Colomer U.S.A.: Crème of Nature Kiwi & Citrus Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo
- Cosway Company, Inc/Head Organics Company: Clearly [sic] Head Conditioner
- Curls, LLC: Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream Organic Shampoo
- derma e® Natural Bodycare/Stearns Products, Inc: Psorzema Body Wash
- Hain Celestial Group: Jason Thin-to-Thick Conditioner and Baby Avalon Organics Silky Cornstarch Baby Powder
- House of Cheatham, Inc: Organics by Africa’s Best Hair Mayonnaise
- International Trade Routes of New York, Inc/Laboratorios Phergal: Naturtint Green Technologies Permanent Hair Colorant
- Kinky-Curly Hair Care: Kinky-Curly Spiral Spritz
- Kiss My Face Corporation: Hold Up Styling Mousse
- Lafe’s Natural BodyCare/Lafe T. Larson, Inc: Deodorant Stone With Holder
- Morrocco Method, Inc: Euro Organic Oil Simply Pure Hair & Scalp Therapy
- Namasté Laboratories: Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Pak
- Nature’s Baby Products, Inc: Nature’s Baby ORGANICS Shampoo & Body Wash in Vanilla-Tangerine Scent or Lavender-Chamomile Scent
- Nubian Heritage Group/Sundial Group LLC: Coconut & Papaya with Vanilla Bean Extract Body Wash
- Nutrition Resource, Inc. dba NutriBiotic: NutriBiotic Everyday Clean Conditioner Botanical Blend
- Rainbow Research Corporation: Rainbow Baby Oh Baby Unscented Organic Herbal Shampoo
- Renpure, L.L.C: Renpure Organics I Love My Hair! Body and Shine Shampoo
- Strength of Nature Global, LLC: Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Hair Conditioning Treatment
- Sundial Brands/Sundial Group LLC: Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo
- The Himalaya Drug Company: Organique by Himalaya Toothpaste
- Todd Christopher International, Inc/Vogue International: Hydrating Teatree Mint Conditioner
Source: Jezebel via BGLH